MTJ Hax

workaround for “Malformed version number string mswin32”

Posted in ruby on rails by mtjhax on November 11, 2009

People are reporting the error “Malformed version number string mswin32” when unpacking or using unpacked Ruby gems in their Rails project. I ended up figuring this out because I ran into it while trying to unpack the sqlite3-ruby gem and couldn’t Google any fixes.

Here’s the quick workaround (hack):

1. Look at your unpacked gems in vendor/gems and find any directories ending in “-x86-mswin32”. Change the directory name by removing “-x86-mswin32”.

2. Inside that same directory, there should be a file name “.specification”. Open that file with your text editor, find the line “platform: x86-win32” and simply remove the “x86-win32” so it just says “platform: “.

3. Your project should now load. But read on…

When gems are unpacked, they are placed in vendor/gems with directory names that include the gem name and version separated by dashes. e.g.: mechanize-0.9.3. As unpacked gems are loaded, Rails uses these directory names to get the version number of the gem. Comments in the Rails code lead me to believe that this is legacy support for older gems that preceded the use of .specification files. (I’m using Rails 2.3.4, the specific code is [rubydir]\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\rails-2.3.4\lib\rails\vendor_gem_source_index.rb, lines 103 – 106, method version_for_dir).

When the gem is platform-specific, however, then the directory name is supposed to contain the platform name separated by a dash (per the GEM::Specification class). Since the gem loading code is looking for a version number at the end of the directory name and is instead finding a platform name, this results in the error “Malformed version number string mswin32”. (It should say “malformed version string x86-mswin32” but since this particular platform name contains a dash, which is the delimiter, it only picks up the last bit.)

This seems to be a Rails bug since different parts of the code are expecting different things at the end of the directory name, not to mention that gem names and platforms both commonly contain dashes which are the delimiter the code is using to find the version number.

After figuring this out I realized this begs the question: why am I unpacking a platform-specific gem when I develop on Windows and deploy to Linux? D’oh! So here’s the real tip — don’t unpack platform-specific gems kids. And remember to use hand sanitizer this Winter.

Advertisements
Tagged with: , , , ,

2 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Benjamin Oakes said, on May 26, 2010 at 7:07 pm

    I had the same issue. There’s a ticket in the Rails lighthouse which has a patch now. https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/4295-rails-incorrectly-imposes-version-number-as-last-part-of-gem-directory-name


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: